Wednesday, October 15, 2008

You Want To Pay Me What?

Okay, I have to vent for a minute. While playing around on the Internet and searching for production companies to send my demo to, I stumbled upon a casting notice. They want to pay the tv host $300 for an all day shoot. Is it just me or is that ridiculously cheap. What is the saying "you get what you pay for." My thought is that if you can get someone for that cheap, they must not be that busy and if they are not that busy, then shouldn't you ask yourself why?
It just blows my mind that someone in this business (a production company) would have the nerve to pay someone so little. Am I the only one that thinks this way? I welcome your thoughts...please.

1 comment:

Papa Joe said...

Hi Andi -- I was surfing around, curious about your absence on our local station and found your blog. I decided I'd weigh in on this subject. I'm a VERY SMALL producer in Maricopa city and needed a talent for a 3-5 minute spec web show. Her agent quoted $300 for a half day. We were all friends and finally agreed on $300 for "as long as it takes", which was about 6 hours. This was a spec project coming out of my pocket and the show may never get picked up, but I felt it was an investment in good talent, which she definitely was. It was also a bargain basement price and I can't even tell you the agent's name because of the cut rate. So my point is that you do indeed get what you pay for and it's the producer's responsibility to quote a price to the client that reflects the level of professionalism that a higher price tag brings to the project.